I found this piece in a February 5, 1920, Morrow County Independent, exactly 100 years ago:
“Located in Morrow County is a very prosperous little town of about 1,400 people. This city has always prided itself on the fact that whatever it tried to do, it did well. This is proven by the fact that its citizens, when called upon to help the county become the largest purchaser of war savings stamps in the United States, did their part well.
“Then when Uncle Sam said that Kaiser Bill had gone far enough with his war machine and needed good men to back up his claims, this little town provided a captain and a company of men who were classed in the rainbow division. On top of all that, this little town has been resisting since it voted against all the saloons for everything a Christian community should stand for.
Realizing that to do this church and Sunday school were the starting point, about a year ago two dozen men met in the hall of the Methodist Sunday school and began the men’s Bible class at Cardington with a goal to bring every man not to Sunday school — to Sunday school.
A training for Easter 1919 was set with a target of 100 men. Easter came with an attendance of 146 men. Working with enthusiasm over the next year, they reached a total attendance of 283 men attending Sunday school on February 1, 1920, seven fewer than the votes cast in the society in the last state election.
“We can safely say this is a record for Morrow County and we believe, for Ohio if not the United States, when considering the population to draw from. So you see what happens when the men of a community rally behind a project with all their might,” said a spokesperson.
Of course, this story refers to Cardington.
A separate story in this edition of the Morrow County Independent featured news from Lazarus: “What’s up in the little things for women’s dress?”
To counter this, the newspaper ran an ad titled “Keep YOUR dollars in YOUR town” and listed the following businesses to patronize: Donovan Bros, CH Farrington, Peoples Store, John Underwood and West Side Grocery in Cardington; CB Hoffmire, Olds Shoemaker, LA Powers and Frank Sharp, Ashley; Clayton Lloyd, Fulton and SD Beck, FB Mateer, FD Phillips, EW Pearl and Ed Randolph, Marengo.
February 1940: GH Ruhlman, Cardington hardware dealer for 59 years, was honored by the Ohio Hardware Association at its convention in Columbus.
1950: Miss Thelma Hack of Cardington, a home economics student at Otterbein College, has been placed on the school’s honor roll.
1970: Judy Harris has been chosen as the queen for the upcoming Cardington FFA banquet. She was in her second year as an FHA student.
Projector of February 1960: Members of the Cardington-Lincoln High School varsity basketball team were Mike Swain, Gale Koehler, Don Herron, Bill Graham, Carl Harruff, Terry Smith, Ron Davis, Loren Helmuth, and Wayne Cook. The coaches were Wayne Bergdoll, head coach; and Kenneth Fisher, deputy. The managers were Randy Hack and Fred Petry.
Janet Sanderlin was to be crowned queen of the FFA. The participants were Kathy Cooper, Donna Fowler, Janet Lee and Bonnie Hindman.
contact us at [email protected]