Is the Bible anti-science? Does the Bible contain scientific facts? Was the Bible really ahead of science? Should Christians Throw Their Brain In The Trash By Believing The Bible?
A definition of science
The word science essentially means knowledge. Just as the word consciousness means “with knowledge”. Science is a continuous, never-ending process of learning new things. Science can be said to be the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the realms of the physical and natural universe. The discipline of science is that once something is established as a fact, it can be discovered to be false due to later findings and then when it was thought to be a fact , it is proven wrong, the facts are changed. The only sure fact about science is that it is never static. It is always a continuous and never-ending process. Scientific knowledge is growing at an exponential rate that continues to overtake the past, but the question remains: was the Bible ahead of scientific knowledge and if so, how far away from human knowledge was it? Let’s look at the origins first.
Scientists cannot explain the beginning of the universe or the origins of life. They can only postulate or speculate, but in Genesis God declares these two origins as a matter of fact. In Genesis 1: 1 we have the four scientific necessities for a beginning; space, matter, time and energy. Now compare them with Genesis 1: 1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. “
Now, let’s plug the so-called scientific necessities for the existence of the universe into the creative act of God: “At first, [that’s time] God created [that’s energy] Heaven [that’s space] and the earth [that‘s matter]. “We could also add a movement where it says”the heavens and the earth”Because these have all been set in motion by the effective power of the word of God. It is written that God spoke and that the worlds existed, this is what Psalm 33: 9 says: “For he spoke, and it came to pass; he commanded, and he stood firm.“
For Christians, we understand that “By faith we understand that the universe was formed by order of God, so that what is seen was not made of what was seen.(Heb 11: 3). Even before atomic and subatomic microscopes, God declared the universe to be made up of atoms invisible to the naked eye. What is seen then consists of what is not seen and it is true that by the command of God, “the universe was formed. “
God also created all animals, mammals, vegetation and his greatest creation… mankind. The theory of evolution does not attempt to explain the origins of the universe and all matter, nor does it give any rational explanation of the origins of life. This theory depends on an already living organism that comes from a non-living inorganic material. That is, all life came from a simple, one-celled organism that arose from non-organic matter, even though this was never done in scientific experiments. This is just a faith-based theory and belief system that has no concrete and conclusive evidence. Evolution says that humanity was created millions or billions of years over time and by chance and that at the most basic level we and all living things are related to an amoeba. Evolution can be reduced to saying that mankind and all life came from a primordial soup of inorganic matter to, in time, become living organisms. God says he created them “male and female” in his likeness and in the image of God (Gen 1:27). The difference between God’s creative work and evolution is that one is led by intelligence and the other by chance.
The Bible ahead of scientific knowledge
Scientists know the universe is expanding, but the Word of God said as much thousands of years ago through Isaiah as it wrote “It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like locusts; who spreads out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in(Isaiah 40:22). Job is perhaps the oldest book in the Bible and Job recorded the fact that “He alone stretches the heavens(Job 9: 8a). At least three other Old Testament verses refer to the same fact when they write that God “extends the heavens” (Isaiah 44:24, 51:13) and Jeremiah says the exact same thing (Jer 10:12). The important part of these verses is that He “extend the heavens“which means it is always lie down… or lie down.
Other amazing scientific facts that have been made clear are:
- Air has weight (Job 28:25).
- All things are made up of atoms which are not visible to the naked eye (Heb 11: 3).
- The earth was not flat, which was believed for most of human history, but it is spherical (Isaiah 40:22), which is why the Bible mentions day cycles and night events occurring in different parts of the earth at the same time (Luke 17: 34-36).
- The existence of dinosaurs (Job 40).
- The hydrological cycle (Amos 9: 6, Job 36: 27-28).
- The earth is suspended in space and not as some ancient civilizations thought it was suspended; some by elephants, others by Hercules, etc. (Job 26: 7).
- The upper air currents circulate around the earth as in many different jet streams (Eccl 1: 6).
- The 2nd law of thermodynamics where things go from order to disorder and decay and deteriorate (Isaiah 51: 6, Heb 1: 10-11).
- Deep oceanic springs (Job 38:16).
- Semen or male semen (Gen 3:15).
- This blood is a necessity for life. Too bad the old doctors do not know because they have killed thousands and thousands of people in the blood suggesting that it helps (Lev 17:11).
- The orbit of the sun (Psalm 19: 4-6).
- The binding of clusters of constellations by gravity (Job 38:31).
- Even the stars, once considered a finite and countable number, are now considered countless (Heb 11:12, Gen 15: 5, Jer 33:22, Gen 17: 7).
- Quarantines of infectious disease populations (Lev 13: 45-46).
- The principles of blood clotting, reaching their maximum levels of vitamin K on the eighth day of a male child, that is, when he has been circumcised (Gen 17:12).
- Life-saving health practices that were not universally practiced until the end of the 18th century (Num 19, Lev 11, 15, Duet 32: 10-12).
- Wash and bathe for sanitary reasons (Lev 15:13).
- Even the dietary laws that promoted good health (Lev 11: 9-12).
The Bible is not so much a book on the heavens but more on the way to to have to the sky. That’s not to say there isn’t scientific wisdom in it. We’ve read before that the Bible is way ahead of modern man’s scientific knowledge, but here is the real wisdom. Fear God, obey Him, repent and confess your sins, then put your trust in Christ. It’s not just the smartest thing you can do, it’s the wisest decision you’ll ever make.
Jack Wellman is editor-in-chief at What Christians Want to Know whose mission is to equip, encourage and energize Christians and answer questions about the believer’s daily walk with God and the Bible.
Resources: The Holy Bible (NIV version),